Museo della Contrada dell’Aquila
The oldest Drappellone (Palio banner) in Siena, dating from 1719, is on display.
The Museum of the Aquila neighbourhood in Siena is located in the Oratory of the lay order of the Tredicini, whose number (tredici is Italian for thirteen) symbolised Christ and the Apostles. After the suppression of the order, the oratory was given to the neighbourhood by the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Pietro Leopoldo di Lorena.
The neighbourhood owns the oldest drappellone preserved in Siena, painted with an image of the Madonna and dating from the Palio won by the neighbourhood on 2nd July 1719.
The new museum was inaugurated on 29th May 1999; it includes the restored Oratory and areas occupied by the Chancellery, Archive and administrative offices.