Synagogue of Siena
Inaugurated in 1786, it is still used today by the Jewish community of Siena
Vicolo delle Scotte, 14, 53100 Siena SI, Italy
Tel. 0577 271345
The Synagogue of Siena is just a few steps away from Piazza del Campo.
Designed by the Florentine architect Zanobi del Rosso, it was inaugurated in 1786 and represents one of the few examples of architecture between Rococo and Neoclassicism in the area. The simple exterior facade and, in contrast, the elegant richly decorated interior are examples of synagogues built in Italy during the ghetto times, before Emancipation.
Still used by the local Jewish community, the synagogue houses antique silvers and ritual vestments and offers the opportunity to visit the ancient women gallery, nowadays used for temporary exhibitions and educational activities.